call us on

1300 459 689

Select Page


A Construction Certificate (CC) verifies that the detailed design of a building complies with the National Construction Code (formerly the BCA) and meets the statutory requirements of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979 and its regulations.

Building work cannot commence until a CC has been issued by a Certifying Authority, which can be either Council or a Private Certifier. You must appoint a ‘Principal Certifying Authority’ and notify Council in writing before you start any building work.

Step 1   Application for Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate.

A construction certificate is required after development consent is issued and before work is carried out.  The construction certificate is a certificate verifying that relevant matters specified in a development consent and applicable legislation have been satisfied.

Step 2   Issue a Construction Certificate / Complying Development Certificate

Council will issue a Construction Certificate after they are satisfied that:

  • the construction certificate plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent
  • the development complies with the Building Code of Australia and all relevant technical standards
  • all required conditions of development consent have been complied with and
  • all fees and contributions have been paid.

Step 3   Appointment of Principal Certifying Authority

When Council is nominated as the  Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) it is required to inspect the building work during the course of construction to ensure compliance with the development consent, construction certificate or complying development certificate and building regulations. To appoint Council as the PCA, complete the Principal-Certifying-Authority-Service-Agreement and submit to Council.

Step 4   Notice of commencement

Council must be notified of the intended commencement of works at least 2 days prior to the commencement of any works.  This can be done by completing the Notice of Commencement and PCA form and lodging the form with Council.

Step 5   Critical stage inspections

Council as your PCA will give you a list of the mandatory critical stage inspections and any other inspections required throughout the construction of the building.  Under the provisions of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979, these inspections are mandatory.  You need to be aware of these inspections as they are required to be carried out at the appropriate time.

Your principal contractor (builder) will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.  If you are an owner-builder, you will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.

Step 6   Issue of Occupation Certificate

Prior to the occupation or the use of any building an occupation certificate must be issued by the PCA. The occupation certificate verifies that the PCA is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in accordance with the approved Building Code of Australia (BCA) classification and relevant development consent conditions. To apply for an occupation certificate from Council, complete the  Occupation-Certificate-Application-2020-2021and lodge with Council. The certificate may be issued for the whole or any part of the building.

In the case of buildings other than single residential dwellings, dual occupancies and associated development (ie. decks, awnings, garages), the application must be accompanied by a fire safety certificate form