call us on

1300 459 689

Select Page


The planning system in New South Wales can at times seem overwhelming and complex. This component of Council’s website will briefly outline the steps for you to identify whether you need to lodge a Development Application and then provide you with information to guide you through this process.

A Development Application (DA) is required to formally request permission to carry out development. The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 legally defines development to include the following:

  • The use of land
  • The subdivision of land
  • The erection of a building
  • The carrying out of work
  • The demolition of a building or work

However, before you lodge a DA you may find that more minor development can be carried out without the need to lodge a DA and obtain development consent from Council.

In 2008, the State Government introduced State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 to provides a range of development that does not need development consent from Council.

These forms of development are split into two categories:

If your development does not fall within these two categories that a Development Application is required to be lodged to obtain development consent.

Lodging a Development Application

To make a Development Application with CGRC it is recommended that you undertake the following steps:

Review and complete Development Application form

  • Review and complete the Development Application form to ensure that you are aware of all required information that needs to be completed.
  • This includes obtaining all land owners consent
  • Your Development Application will only be accepted with a completed Development Application form and all supporting documentation.

Review and complete the required checklist

  • Review the required checklist to ensure that you are aware of all required plans and documentation that needs to be completed and submitted to form part of your Development Application.
  • Your Development Application will only be accepted with a completed checklist with the submission of the relevant documentation.
  • Your Development Application is required to be accompanied by three hard copies of all plans and documentation Fees.
  • Development Application fees are calculated on a scale based on the estimated cost of development (as well as the number of lots for Development Applications for subdivision). Council’s Customer Service Centre can provide you with a fee estimate for your Development Application.

Construction Certificate

Most building works will require a secondary form of approval (following the approval of the DA) which is known as a Construction Certificate (CC). A CC is required before commencing any building or construction work, and assures that the detailed plans and specifications comply with the Building Code of Australia and associated standards and codes, and also aims to ensure that there is consistency with the approved DA.

It is possible to lodge a Development Application and Construction Certificate with Council at the same time. Combined applications can bring great efficiency, particularly for smaller development proposals as it allows for the concurrent assessment of both development and building issues by specialized Council officers.

Integrated Development

Integrated Development is development that needs both Development Consent from Council and an approval from another Government Authority under other legislation. An application for certain nominated approvals is able to be integrated as part of the Development Application process allowing them to be assessed concurrently by Council and the Government Authority.

Where possible, Council is able to assist you to identify relevant approvals and agencies.

However, if there is an uncertainty as to whether another approval is required, please consult directly with the relevant agency. It is your responsibility to ascertain which approvals are required before lodging your Development Application.

An additional prescribed fee per approval body referral applies to integrated development (schedule of fees can be obtained from Customer Service or on Council’s webpage).

Cheques for the correct amount are to be made payable to the applicable approval body.

Designated Development

These types of development require particular scrutiny because of the nature of the development, or their potential impact. These developments are listed under Schedule 3 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations 2000 and include industries such as concrete batching plants and the like that have a high potential to pollute.

Applicants should contact Council for more information pertaining to a Designated Development Application.