Rural Lands Strategy
In February 2018, Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional Council began the process of engagement and research to produce a Rural Lands Strategy that would inform the creation of the Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional Council Local Environmental Plan (LEP).
The Rural Lands Strategy was developed following considerable community consultation throughout 2018 and 2019, and was adopted by Council in June 2020. The Strategy forms part of Council’s suite of strategic landuse planning documents.
Rural Lands Strategy – Final (v2)
How we developed the Rural Lands Strategy
In developing the Rural Lands Strategy, Gundagai Regional Council, in conjunction with Riverina Agriconsultants (formerly Booth Associates), researched topics identified during the Villages Strategy as issues within the Local Government Area. The issues identified were:
- CRGC Freight and Transport
- CGRC Agricultural Tourism Issues Paper
- Agritourism Appendix 2
- CGRC Farm Diversification Issues Paper
- CGRC Farm Holdings Issues Paper
- CGRC Regional Food Issues Paper
- CGRC Rural Living Issues Paper
- CGRC Connections to Villages and Towns Issues Paper
- CGRC Forestry Issues Paper
- CGRC Mining Disused Mines and Landfill Issues Paper
- CGRC Environmental Pressures Issues Paper
Further consultation with the community was undertaken in late 2018. The community feedback and the information presented by the issues papers have been used to create this Directions Paper.
The Directions Paper is a snapshot of what issues are important to our Local Government Area as well as the opportunities we should pursue when drafting land use legislation and control plans.