call us on

1300 459 689

Select Page



Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional Council work together with the NSW Food Authority to support food retailers and ensure food safety. Council has responsibility to routinely inspect retail food premises and to investigate any concerns raised regarding any food activity within the Council area.

Council’s Environmental Health Officer is available to offer professional advice and instruction on food safety matters and can be contacted on 1300 459 689.

Food Information Sessions for not-for-profit Sporting and Community groups

Periodically, Council may provide information sessions on Food Safety to not-for-profit sporting and community group organisations. Food Safety Information sessions conducted by Council are aimed at sporting and community groups that are currently not legislated to hold Food Safety Supervisor Certification under the Food Act 2003. These information sessions are not a certified Food Safety Supervisor course.

If you would like Council staff to undertake an information session on Food Safety, please contact Council.

Food Safety at home

Food Safety is just as important at home as in restaurants. For further information on how you can keep you and your family safe see the NSW food Authority website here


** NEW ** COVID-19 UPDATE. Please follow NSW Food Authority or Services NSW for all the latest updates to this changing situation.

Businesses must complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan and register as a COVID Safe business. See COVID-19 Safety Plans by industry.

Businesses need to review their operation and consider what other measures should be implemented to reduce the impact of COVID-19

The NSW Food Authority has developed FREE training on COVID-19 awareness for food service. This free online training covers key measures recommended for COVID-19 control in NSW food retail and food service businesses.

Find the training link here

Food Business registration. All retail food premises must be registered with Council, and businesses must update their registration if there is a change of ownership or Food Safety Supervisor.

Food Business Reg-Update Form

Food Safety Supervisor. The Food Act 2003 requires certain food businesses in the NSW hospitality and retail food service sector to have at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor. A copy of the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate must be kept on the premises. If you wish to clarify whether your business requires a Food Safety Supervisor, please see the NSW Food Authority website  or contact Council.

Newsletters & Factsheets




Temporary Events

The NSW Food Authority has developed an extensive range of resources for food businesses, including factsheets, guides policies, forms and templates. The information on the NSW Food Authority is regularly reviewed and updated, see the NSW Food Authority website

Inspections – Inspections of retail food premises are based of the FPAR (Food Premises Assessment Report) which is a standard checklist for compliance with the Food Standards Code used across NSW. The FPAR also features a points system to determine a hygiene and food safety score, which relates to the Scores on Doors program.

Prepare for your inspection by going through the FPAR Inspection checklist yourself, a copy is available at


Scores on Doors – Scores on Doors is the NSW food business hygiene rating program that enables consumers to make informed choices about where to eat or shop for food. It drives food safety culture in food businesses and reduces the potential for foodborne illness. Certificates on display at participating food premises provides information about the hygiene standards in food premises at the time they were inspected by Council.

For more information on Scores on Doors please visit:

Starting a Food Business – There are many things to consider when starting your own food business. It is strongly recommended to contact Council early with your plans to determine what approvals will be required.

Temporary Food Premises – A temporary event is any occasion which is not permanent and where food is sold to consumers. Examples include fairs, festivals, markets and shows.

All temporary food stalls will need to comply with the requirements of Guidelines for food businesses at temporary events as detailed by the NSW Food Authority. The guideline advises of legal obligations, basic construction requirements and suggest ways on to maintain food safety at the event.

Mobile Food Vending Vehicle – Before operating a mobile food van an operator is required to register as a Food Premises, and depending on where and when you intend to operate your mobile food van an Approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 may also be required prior to commencing operation.

Guidelines for mobile food vending vehicles are available from the NSW Food Authority.