Council assumed control of all cemeteries within the Gundagai area in 1968.
Records relating to burials since 1968 are available from Council, as are some records prior to this date. Unfortunately many records were destroyed in a fire in the early sixties. Every effort is made to assist people seeking information on burials. Gundagai library also has some records and may be able to assist.
South Gundagai Cemetery
South Gundagai Cemetery is the town’s oldest cemetery being in use before 1850 and is situated on the Gocup Road with road leading into the cemetery, approaching from Gundagai, being on the right hand side and is sign posted.
North Gundagai Cemetery
North Gundagai General Cemetery began use in the late 1850’s is situated on the William Street with entryway into the cemetery being on the right hand side and is sign posted.
Other Gundagai Cemeteries
There are eight other cemeteries located within the Gundagai area.
- Adjungbilly Cemetery: This cemetery is located on private property, 2.3 km along Red Hill Road. “Woodside” is to the right and the cemetery is across a paddock on the southern side of Adjungbilly Creek.
- Coolac Cemetery: situated approximately 1km south of the Coolac village.
- North Gundagai Lawn Cemetery and Columbarium Wall: Situated on the northern side of William Street opposite the North Gundagai Cemetery.
- Mt Adrah: Situated on the left hand side of the Snowy Mountains Highway, approximately 4.5k from its junction with the Hume Highway. Turn left off the highway after crossing Yaven Yaven Creek, left again and the cemetery is located on a laneway to the right behind a small church (now a residence). On private property.
- Muttama Cemetery: Situated in a paddock on the right hand side of the road from Coolac, just south of Muttama – on private property.
- Nangus Cemetery: Is in the village of Nangus on the Gundagai-Wantabadgery Road.
- Tumblong Cemetery: On the right-hand side of the Tumblong-Adelong Road approximately 2k from the Hume Highway.
- Wagragobilly (Darbalara) Cemetery: From the Brungle Bridge it is left on the Darbalara Road approximately 4.2km. Cemetery is located behind the church on the right – on private property.
Council assumed control of all cemeteries within the Cootamundra area in 1968??
The cemetery is situated on the left hand side of the Olympic Way near the saleyards when approaching Cootamundra from the north with the entryway just before crossing the railway overbridge leading into Cootamundra township.
Burley Griffin Way brings you into the Village of Stockinbingal, turn into Geralda Street and follow through onto Grogan Road for about 1km. The road leading into the cemetery is on the left hand side and is sign posted.
Olympic Highway brings you into the Village of Wallendeen, take the Temora Road and follow for about 1km. Turn left into North Jindalee Road. The road leading into the cemetery on the left hand side and is sign posted.